Friday, April 15, 2005

The Gathering of Men

I attended the Gathering of Men breakfast yesterday morning. It started at 6:45, which meant that I was up and out unusually early for me. As I was driving in the Southwest Freeway, I had doubts about whether this was going to be of sufficient value to have interrupted my comfortable routine to attend.

As I pulled into the parking lot of the J. W. Marriott, the first thing I found was that I had to park in the very back of this large lot. Other men were streaming out of their cars heading toward the hotel. I couldn't help but be a little surprised and quite impressed as I joined all of them funneling into the Exposition Center. It's a large facility.

After being greeted and seeing a couple of people I know, I made my way into the room to find my host's table. Again I was surprised at the number of tables. We're talking about thousands of men having breakfast together and hearing a speaker talk about the power of Jesus in his life!

Vince Evans, who was a star quarterback at USC and then for 17 years in the NFL, was the speaker. Hearing his story of how he came to Jesus and the difference it made and is making in his life was exciting. He held the full attention of everyone there.

I also enjoyed the opportunity to meet several men at my table. Most, like me, had never been to a Gathering event, and none of us knew each other, but quickly formed some bonds.

Roger Wernette leads the Houston organization, and does a great job. During the fall, there will be a golf tournament and a dinner and breakfast featuring Ken Blanchard. To get on their mailing list, just email Roger (rwernette@houston.rr.com).

On the drive home, I couldn't imagine NOT having disturbed my comfortable routine!

No comments: