Thursday, January 12, 2006

Winston and Scout

Winston (the lab) and Scout (the shepherd) were our constant friends in Uganda. They belong to Shane and Carole, who were our hosts while in Mbarara. I know that they (the dogs, that is) still miss us, because we spoiled them rotten. I was the early riser of the group, and Winston and Scout were always anxious for me to come sit on the porch and drink my coffee -- which to them meant scratch their heads and throw the blue rubber bone. Winston was always the one who would retrieve it, and then he and Scout would spend 5-10 minutes playing chase and "fighting" over possession of the blue bone. They provided hours of amusement and entertainment, and frankly I miss them too. The porch was also where I journaled -- and rarely did I get more than two or three sentences written before a dog head would suddenly appear on the page.

I know lots of people have written about dogs and theology, so I won't do that here -- I'll just say that Winston and Scout aided my quiet times, and I'm thankful.

No comments: