Friday, May 27, 2005

Time Doesn't Erase Memories

It's been 10 years today since J. W. Stapp, Eloise's dad, died. Although time has passed, his memory is still strong. He was remarkable in many ways. He continued his banking career into his late 70's. He always had a big garden where he grew all the important things -- tomatoes, okra, squash, and black-eyed peas. I think it was a way to stay close to his roots on the farm as much as it was for the good food. He loved sports, and would often listen to one game on his transitor radio while watching another on TV. He was a great dad and granddad, and loved it when the family was all together. He was a great role model for me, and I still find myself thinking about he would handle some situation or opportunity. My life has been blessed and influenced by so many, and I'm thankful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happened upon this website by accident, and wondered if the Eloise Stapp referred to here was a Richardson High graduate. I played in the Golden Eagle Band with Eloise Stapp. If it's one and the same, I hope life has treated her well. I still enjoy playing music.

Fred Mayes
Class of '66 (tuba)

Jim Hughes said...

Fred -

She is the very same -- Class of '65 (clarinet). She's now Dr. Hughes, a Professor of Education at Houston Baptist. She never fails to impress her music major student teachers by mentioning her time as a member of the Richardson High Golden Eagle Band -- you guys are still famous in those circles.

Thanks for the post, and hope your life is blessed!