Friday, September 09, 2005

Today's Katrina Thoughts

I've had the priviledge over the last week to volunteer at Second Mile Ministry, getting to spend time visiting individually with Katrina victims coming through for help with food, clothing, and gas. I've written a little about what I've seen and learned in the Making Career Changes blog. There's so much more I'd like to write about that, but it'll have to wait until I have more time.

Also, we've been paying close attention to happenings in Gulfport, since the Coast Guard activated son John. His reserve unit is based there, and the base itself was destroyed by Katrina. Since most of his fellow reservists are from Mississippi and New Orleans, one objective is to be able to get in touch with all of them and meet their needs. I'm anxious to hear from him how they are doing.

As a final note for today, I've noticed that many of us are suffering the symptoms of grief and stress as an aftermath of Katrina, even if we weren't directly affected by storm loss. Some are physical effects, and many are emotional effects. Reach out to someone today and really listen to them. And find someone who will listen to you. And some hugs would be a good thing as well.

No comments: