Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Comfortable at Being Himself

Sometimes you look and listen to someone and are struck by how comfortable they seem at being themselves. James Taylor was on the Today Show this morning, and he just looks and sounds like someone who is comfortable in his own skin. His music is smooth and seemingly effortless. His clothes looked comfortable -- no obvious attempt to make a statement. He did have his Stetson on, but it was just plain. And when he responded to questions, it was relaxed and absent of pretense.

Maybe I'm attracted to someone who appears so comfortable with who they are because sometimes I'm not. Sometimes I'm too concerned about trying to make other people like me, so I'm overly conscious about what I wear and what I say and what I do. In those times, I'm not comfortable. And I suspect that others see it and hear it.

At the same time it's a balancing thing. The desire that's built into us that wants to please others has many positive benefits. In fact, our ability to live and work with each other is highly dependent on it. So part of our humanity is struggling with the balance.

Maybe part of the attraction of Heaven is that you're just who you are and that's okay.

No comments: