Monday, June 20, 2005

Where you live defines who you are.

That's what the sign says in the Sugar Land Mall. It's an ad for an upscale housing development. It got me to thinking because I didn't like the message. In a sense it's true -- we do judge people by where they live. If they live in an upscale neighborhood, we tend to think highly of them. If they live in the hood, we may not have as high opinions of them. We all know that there is something wrong with that, but we have bought into the notion that where you live defines who you are. I'm trying to get over that. I know there are some rascals living in River Oaks in Houston -- they've been in courtrooms and the national headlines. I know there are some great people living in the Third Ward. I've met some of them.

For more of my thoughts on this, you may want to listen to today's Retire2Serve Podcast.

And if you're in a listening mood, I talked about "Kings and Kingdoms" on today's Drawn2Jesus Podcast.

1 comment:

J. Kevin Parker said...

We spend so much of our lives trying to get "upscale" that we often forget that Jesus was homeless. What makes a person great? Not his/her home. I say that as I am living in a nice new house in a nice new neighborhood. But I am more and more convicted that we must spend our efforts trying to do what actually matters and not in "keeping up with the Jones." Let's quit letting where we live define us. Good post.