Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Walking with Jenny

I'm back to walking every day, and trying to walk somewhere rather than keeping up with the treadmill. Jenny the dog is in one of her phases where she's put on a few pounds and doesn't want to be too active, so I've decided that she should walk with me.

So yesterday, I put her on the leash and we headed out. When I walk at home, the route is to walk to the corner which is about 4 blocks away and back a couple of times. Jenny was pretty excited about this new adventure, and checked out all the yards and driveways along the way to the corner. On the way back, she did some of the same, but I noticed that she was mostly headed straight down the sidewalk.

To my surprise, when we got back to the house and I was ready to turn around and head back, Jenny wouldn't budge. She'd had all the walking she wanted. I thought she might be thirsty, so we went in to let her drink. She took a sip or two and promptly went and laid down under one of the chairs by the kitchen table. That's pretty much Jenny for I'm not doing anything for a while except take a nap. So I went back out and finished my walk. Sure enough, when I returned, she was still under the chair.

We just repeated the same scene this morning. To the corner and back, not budging, a sip of water, and plopping down under the chair. Guess if I want Jenny to walk further with me, we'll just have to go further before I let her get back home! And I keep thinking that I'm smarter than she is...

No comments: