Friday, October 03, 2008

Burning Trash

Sitting on the back porch, I see that someone is apparently burning
#Ike debris in the distance. The smoke grabs your attention against
the pristene, blue Houston sky, because we don't often have pristene,
blue sky. And now I can begin to smell it. Wonder if it's going to
contribute to today's ozone alert?

What seeing the smoke made me think about was how much we have changed
how we think about trash burning during my lifetime. As a child, I
remember those 55 gallon drums that people living in rural areas used
to burn their trash. And when I was a teenager, if you lived in Denver
as we did, you were required to have a trash incenerator in the back
yard, and to use it.

Now I'm conditioned to be shocked when I see trash being burned and
dirtying the air.

I wonder what practices we take for granted as okay today will change?
I vote for mowing grass!

No comments: