Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Being Able to Help

Today was an interesting day. My regular morning prayer recently has been along the lines, "God, show me someone today I can help."

I was at a luncheon where I didn't know but a couple of the 200 people present, and not being able to sit with them, just picked out a place where I could easily see the speaker and sat down next to a couple of strangers. We talked a little, paid attention to the program, and as we were getting ready to go, I gave my business card to the guy sitting next to me. The tag line on the card is, "Christian Life Coaching for the Second Half." I knew he was on staff at a church in Kingwood, but what I soon learned is that he's trying to figure out how to begin to mobilize folks nearing retirement. So we immediately got into a deep conversation, with plans to visit more. He's someone I can help.

As I returned home, there was a message on the phone from a guy who had just lost his job a couple of days ago who wanted to talk about what he needed to do to make his job search effective. He's someone I can help.

Why am I amazed when I pray and God answers? Thank you God for bringing these two people into my life today!

No comments: