Thursday, January 20, 2005

Traditions Balance the Effects of Change

I love change, but I also love tradition.

Watching the inauguration this morning stirred my soul. Part of it was the pagentry. A lot of it was the celebration of democracy in action, something that is a deep, built-in part of my value system. As distasteful as much of politics is to me, the fact that democracy continues to work is something to celebrate. The bands, the singing, the ceremony all add to the experience. Maintaining tradition seems to help me deal with the dizzying pace of change all around me. It's something that feeds my emotions. Tradition, it seems, provides balance for living in a world of change.

What role do traditions play in your life? Which traditions are important to you? What new traditions do you need to start?


No comments: