Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Brain Tumors and Spirituality

Scott Hamilton was on the Today Show this morning talking about his brain tumor. His story about how the tumor was discovered and the treatment he is undergoing were expecially interesting because Eloise had a similar tumor over a decade ago. And strangely enough, I had a conversation just yesterday with a new friend whose Mom has been just diagnosed with a similar tumor.

The punch line to Hamilton's story was what really grabbed my attention, though. Early in the interview he had said that he was glad this trial had come his way. After telling the details, he explained. It had resulted in a spiritual journey that left him knowing absolutely that he was loved. His punch line was something like, "While I wouldn't want anyone to have a brain tumor, I wish everyone could have the spiritual experience that I've had as a result."

One of the continuing debates in our world is how a loving God can allow bad things to happen to good people. Hamilton gives a great answer, and his answer reminds me of a story told by Dr. Richard Johnson about a man reaching Heaven and suggesting to God that God should change how life works -- to make sickness and aging go away. In the story God responds, "But my son, if sickness and aging were not part of your life, you would not recognize that your true being is spiritual, and that your physical existence is flawed and only temporary."

Thanks to Hamilton for the reminder.

1 comment:

evolver said...

The Buddhists say 'life is suffering.' And to some extent they may have a point. Jesus said to pick up a cross and follow, and he may mean that more literally than we think.

There is no more powerful witness than those who are elderly, infirm, or disabled who do more than survive - but thrive - in the face of adversity. One example is the Pope, who has been described as a soul dragging a body behind it.

Tucked in a Bible I inherited from my grandmother is an old clipping of my great grandmother's, a poem that says, "My get up and go got up and went." Crucifying the flesh is often little short of exactly that.