Monday, February 07, 2005

The Impact of Earnest

Yesterday was "Bring a Friend Day" at First Colony. My assignment was to greet/usher at the main doors into the auditorium. That means I got an extra shot-in-the-arm dose of time with my friend Earnest.

Earnest's self-appointed role at church is to stand in that small space where everyone going into the auditorium must pass, and to smile at them, to enthusiastically say "Good Morning," and maybe give them an order of worship. Earnest is an incurable optimist, always has a big smile, and when asked how he is, always replies with something like, "If I was any better, I'd be worse!"

Earnest's mission is to convert others to be optimists as well. He looks for those coming in with a sad or serious expression, and makes it his personal goal to bring a smile to their face. And he's nearly always highly successful. He told me yesterday, "You just feel better when your face is smiling!"

Earnest has a huge impact on the worship service because so many in the service have been lifted into a better frame of mind before they ever get to their seats. Isn't it interesting that a guy with a self-appointed role can have such a great impact when many of us with appointed roles may, by comparison, have limited impact?

My Sundays are always better because of the impact of Earnest.

No comments: