Saturday, February 12, 2005

Purely Personal

Two years ago today was Mom and Dad's 60th anniversary, and this week I've had several times when for a few moments I've thought about the small celebration we were able to have, and I have been thankful.

I remember how weak she was because of disease -- but how that for that one day she seemed to have an extra boost of energy and radiance. I have a vivid picture of Kathy and Catherine sitting on either side of her recliner holding her hands as the party of relatives and friends ate and visited with each other. I remember John coming in from active duty in Corpus dead tired after being up for 36 hours. And there was Mark, taking pictures, trying to make everyone happy, and just taking care of things. I remember all the work that Eloise and Sara did to get everything ready, and all the food they prepared. And the picture of the rose that Sara had chosen for their gift. I remember everyone gathering around the special three-tiered wedding anniversary cake that Eloise arranged to have our friend make -- and the picture of Mom and Dad standing together there for the toast, the cutting of the cake, and a passionate kiss. I remember Mom loving having everyone together, enjoying the festivities, knowing it was her last hurrah even better than we did.

These and more are wonderful memories of that day, and I'm so grateful to have them. I miss her deeply, but I have a wealth of memories that give me joy until that time when we're together again.

And what a reminder that I need to spend more time creating memories.

No comments: