Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Getting Out of the Boat

I finished John Ortberg's If You Want to Walk on Water You Have to Get Out of the Boat last night. It's become one of my new favorite books. There are so many thoughts in the book that speak to me that now I have to go back through it specifically to capture some of them. For me, this is one of those books that just reading it isn't enough -- I need to go back through it and process it.

One of the areas that I found most helpful was about fear. What I learned will help me personally, but more, it will help me as I coach others. Weekly I find that fear, usually fear of failure and rejection, keeps people I'm trying to help from taking the steps that would help them find their next job, make a career change, or do something else that is important to them. Ortberg has several ideas I think will be helpful for them.

If you haven't discovered this book yet, I highly recommend it.

No comments: