Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Would God Use a Dog to Get My Attention?

Jenny Dog went for one of her thankfully infrequent tours of the neighborhood yesterday morning. One of her favorite parts of the day is when Eloise leaves for the university. Jenny is allowed to go out front on a leash to check out the front yard. Yesterday she managed to get out of her collar and check out the whole neighborhood -- with me following along as closely as I could to retrieve her. After about 10 minutes, Eloise pulled up in the car, and Jenny happily climbed into the back seat.

Most of the time I was chasing her and even after we had her back in the house, my thoughts were about how to prevent this in the future. Some were about how to discipline her. I had several ideas, and may yet implement one or more of them.

But then the idea that maybe God just used Jenny to force me to take a brisk walk occurred to me. You see, I'm not as faithful to my exercise as I need to be. What if God merely allowed Jenny to escape so that I would do what I needed to be doing? Is it possible that God would use a dog to intervene in a human life? Was God just trying to get my attention?

No comments: