Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Shaping the Future

Where's the point in life where you recognize that your smarts, your hard work, and your planning can't truly shape the future? Is it a single incident, or a collection of incidents where you recognize that you really have no control? When do we come to the realization that our only avenue to shape the future, to change the path of whatever is happening is prayer to a God that has the power and the knowledge and the love to change the course of history in the making?

For me it's a continual journey. There are things I "think" I have control of, where my own smarts or my own work can make things happen. When I fail, I think it's my fault. And it is, but not because I wasn't smart enough or didn't work hard enough -- but because I thought it was within my control to begin with. There are other things where I immediately understand that I have no ability or control, and find it easy to turn them over to God.

Maybe part of the purpose of life is to learn that in reality there is nothing we have control of -- and that everything is in God's venue.

No comments: