Monday, March 28, 2005

What Should I Do Now That I'm a Christian?

...people would come to Frank Buckman and ask, 'What should I do now that I’m a Christian?'’ And he would ask them, 'What’s the most important question or issue that’s being faced in your country right now?'’ Then his answer would be, ‘"Why don’t you go work on that until God gives you something else to do.'’

(I lifted this quote from Bob Buford's new ACTIVEenergy.net newsletter. Bob is the founder of HalfTime, and this is his latest effort.)

Buckman's response to this timeless question is worthy of consideration by all of us. Often what we have heard, or maybe given, as the answer to this question is, "Just get involved doing all the church things -- become an active member."

The "church" answer leads us to become inward focused -- more focused on serving the church. Buckman's answer leads us to become outward focused -- more focused on serving the world around us. In my life I've seen a lot more of us following the "church" answer. I'm now seeing increased movement by Christians toward Buckman's answer.

Which path has been your focus? Which path best fits your God-given abilities and passions? Which path do you see being your future focus? What about doing both?

No comments: