Friday, March 25, 2005

Terri Schiavo

I don't know what to think about the Terri Schiavo situation. There is much information that pulls me both directions. Some of the information I process logically. Other information I process emotionally. I do recognize that there is much misinformation being put out, and at the same time I wonder if all the salient information needed to form an opinion is available. I just don't know.

But I do know it is a heart-tugging story that has captured our attention. It's the subject of conversation in almost any group. Good will come from all of us re-examining our thinking about the value of life as well as the value of being able to choose not to be kept alive artificially.

As I was scanning my favorite web news sites this morning, seeing among other things the headlines on Schiavo, I then went to read the blogs I normally scan as well. As I read Larry James' Urban Daily, I could not help but think about the fact that every day we pass by and ignore so many in need whose lives are just as valuable as Schiavo's. They too are hungry. They too need support for life to continue. But for some reason they are not in the headlines, the topic of conversation.

None of us has any power to do anything to change the Schiavo situation. But maybe we could redirect our aroused passion about the value of life to a situation where we could make a difference -- by helping provide food and shelter for the poor who live in our own neighborhoods.

No comments: