Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Two Neighborhoods -- Both Need Hope

Yesterday I went over to Hope for Youth's facility to deliver some items Houston Baptist University donated for their program to encourage children they serve to attend college.

Hope for Youth works with about 125 at-risk youth each week through spiritual, educational and recreational programs. They are making a difference.

Although I've driven past the Sunnyside neighborhood where Hope for Youth is located hundreds of times, yesterday was the first time I've driven into the neighborhood. It's old, many of the houses and buildings are deteriorating, and when the neighborhood is on the news, it's not good. But one thing that I noticed on my short visit was that there are lots of churches. And that's where hope is for this neighborhood.

Today I attended a meeting in a different neighborhood -- one on Memorial Drive. The houses and building range from very nice to extravagant. The only thing needing repair is the Houston streets, but that's another subject. And I noticed that this neighborhood too is home to lots of churches. And that's where the hope is for this neighborhood also.

I'm thankful for the churches in both neighborhoods. Although the economic status of those living in the two neighborhoods is very different, their need for hope is exactly the same.

No comments: